Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Anniversary


Yesterday, June 2nd, was my/our 41st  Anniversary.  This is a picture of us cutting the wedding cake made by my mother in-law.  I apologize for it's poor quality, but it's actually a polaroid (remember those?) picture taken by a family friend. All my wedding photos were polaroids.  We had a very simple, low cost wedding.  I wore my best friend in high school's prom dress that I paid $25. for. She was my matron of honor, having preceded me as a bride due to the Vietnam War.  I borrowed my wedding veil.  I was only 19.  So was my husband, who had to take two finals at Riverside City College before we were married that day.  We were married in St. Christopher Catholic church in then Sunnymead, CA.   We had to get special permission to be married on a Friday evening because my husband wasn't/isn't Roman Catholic. We were married by an alcoholic priest who wouldn't allow the playing of "Here Comes The Bride" because he said it wasn't "fit" church music.   I was walked down the isle by a friend of my parents because my parents were stationed in Okinawa at the time and couldn't afford to attend my wedding.   It's hard to believe now that there once was a time when the average American couldn't just book an International flight to anywhere.  We couldn't even talk on the phone back then to Okinawa.  Well, maybe some people could, but it was cost prohibitive for my family at the time.  Still, it was a happy day for me even though I would never put up with the conditions laid out by that priest now.   But that was then.....

I can't believe how life goes by so fast.   Life is sneaky.   It just keeps happening whether you like it or not.   I wish you could stop it every now and then, especially in the good parts.   I wish, I wish!

2 comments:

beadlizard said...

I think you two look wonderful! Congratulations! -- Syl

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! I have the same wish. :)