Sunday, February 15, 2009

At Last, a Finished Object





I've finally finished the Checkered Heart baby pullover sweater! I had started this well over a year ago, put it down (without any notes about what the pattern was or where I was in it) as usual. I hate that I do this but I never seem to learn my lesson. I always put projects down with the intention that I will get right back to it. Good intentions but bad knitting practice. The pattern is a blending of two pullovers in Little Badger Knitwear, but with a twist. I change the yarn used to fingering instead of what the patterns actually call for to "size down" the sweater for my needs. I started this with the birth of my first grandchild, Jack.
His father is British and I wanted to knit a Union Jack sweater. The only pattern I could find was in a Debbie Bliss book, Nautical Knits For Kids, but it was a pattern for a child, not a newborn. Since it was my first intarsia pattern, I didn't want to attempt it without some assurance that I could size it down. I emailed Debbie Bliss, who was most gracious and replied back that, yes, I could indeed use fingering yarn (and appropriate needle size) to size down the pattern and it worked. It came out exactly like I wanted. I'd show a pic but I don't have one of it. I hope my daughter kept the sweater, though. She does like to through things away.
Anyway, for this latest sweater I used a the skull and cross bone sweater pattern that I had previously knit in Rowan CashCotton 4 Ply for my Granddaughter Mia. Unfortunately, I took the picture of this in the summer and Mia, poor thing, wanted it off!
Since I liked how the pattern and yarn worked, I repeated the pattern again with different colors of the same yarn and a different intarsia chart. I adapted the heart chart for another sweater to a checkered heart. Why, you ask? Well, I not really a cutsie heart loving kind of gal. The only heart jewelry I own is a handcrafted heart necklace from local "sister" crafters who live in Santa Barbara. Uncharacteristically, I fell in love with one of their "heart" pieces.

So, I made a new chart and finally finished the sweater. This will be for Annabel because only Annabel will fit in it now, thanks to my procrastination
(sigh).
I do like how it turned out and I can't wait to visit and see how it fits!

To my readers: I apologize for the placement for my picture placements. I just can't seem to get Blogger to do what I want.

3 comments:

beadlizard said...

Betty, that is beautiful! I like the colors, the way you have the little gray dots in the centers of the squares, the proportion, and the comfortable garter cuffs and welt. Wow. Can't wait to see what you design next! --Syl

Anonymous said...

Hi Betty,
Hooray for long-ago started, now finished items. I just love the pink skull & cross bones sweater.
I stopped by because you commented on my Sunset District blog. I have another blog that includes knitting stuff.

Viki said...

Really NICE!
Looks very comfortable.
I like the garter cuffs!
My MIL would do garter cuffs on baby sweaters too.