Friday, January 8, 2010

New Year - 2010

Hubby and I traveled to San Francisco on New Year's Eve and spent time with our 3 daughters and our 5 grandchildren. It was a very enjoyable visit. Hubby and daughters spent many hours throwing baseballs to our grandsons as they are getting ready to start Little League. My daughter's, Anne and Helen are really quite the athletes, themselves. They both played softball (among many other sports) in high school and while in Oregon, their team won the state championship. Helen was a catcher and Anne played shortstop and pitcher.

We also had some delicious food, of course and I had a great time teaching my granddaughter, Mia, how to make meatballs.


But the highlight of our trip was a family outing to Alcatraz, courtesy of my daughter, Anne.   It was a beautiful,  San Francisco day when we went.  



                                                                  And, oh the views!  





It was because of my grandson, Jack, that we went.   He had heard about Alcatraz and really wanted to go and see it.   He wanted to stay longer than we were able to.   When I got home, I ordered a children's book about a boy who lived on Alcatraz.    It was interesting to learn that families lived on Alcatraz.   There is an apartment building still there that housed them.    There are other smaller houses that are no longer there.    These all were for the guards and their wives and children.  
When you arrive, you are given a set of headphones (see Jack) and these provide you with a guided tour with interesting facts and stories about Alcatraz.















I'd go back in a heartbeat!   There's a night tour, too.   The lights of San Francisco would fantastic.
 I love San Francisco!

No comments: