Wednesday, January 20, 2010

NFL Playoff Game - San Diego Chargers vs New York Jets - 1/17/2010

Qualcom Stadium - 1/17/2010 - San Diego Chargers vs. New York Jets

We got a surprise invitation from our long time friends, Penny and Alan to go to the NFL Play-off game between the San Diego Chargers and the New York Jets this past sunday.   Of course, we accepted!
Even though it was a gloomy day and actually started raining near the end of the game, we had a fabulous time.    Penny and Alan's daughters and son in law had a fun and yummy tail-gate party before the game.   I had no idea how there was this "other world" of tail gaters!   You should have seen some of the parties there.   It was said that Rachel Ray was there to scan the food served.   We didn't see her but it was clear that everyone loved this part of the whole game day experience.   I even had a few people tell me that the tail gate party was the best part of the whole football game experience.


J.C., Carol, me, Alan & Penny

We have known Penny and Alan since 1970.   We lived next door to each other at UCLA Married Student Housing.  What a great experience that was!   Honestly, think of the movie "The Big Chill" and you will begin to know what I'm talking about.  Carol is Penny's best friend and they went to high school together.   Carol's husband, Bill, was kind enough to snap this picture of us.   As you can see, we were there pretty doggone early since the parking lot is still pretty empty.   We left at 8 AM and the kick off was at 1:40 PM.

After the game, we all parted ways and JC and I went to Escondido to see JC's sister, Melody, who was at her time share condo this week at Lawrence Welk Resorts.  Melody is not only my sister-in-law but my dearest and closest friend.  I have known her since she was 8 years old, when I first started dating her brother.  We immediately "took to each other" despite our age difference.  She still talks of how I took her with me to Los Angeles to look for an apartment for JC, Ben and I to live in before we were accepted to UCLA married student housing.    She couldn't believe I would take her on such an adventure.   She was great company even then.   We found a one bedroom apartment off Robertson Blvd. on Canfield Ave. that day.    Living there was a fun experience, also.   I hadn't realized it when I rented that we were the only "gentiles" in the entire building!   I didn't even know what that meant when I first heard it.   That's when we first discovered Canters Deli, a place we still frequent when in LA.   Even Melody goes there.

                                                                    Melody and I


Our daughter, Anne, also went to Lawrence Welf Villas with her two boys for the weekend.   Anne and her girlfriend, Kelli, had a condo booked for the weekend there in a newer section.  They have wonderful pool areas there and despite the weather, Jack and Hayden made the best of it:

                                                                                                                  


Hayden


                                                    Jack
I treasure each and every time I can get together with my family.

No comments: