Sunday, January 31, 2010

SOMETIMES THE SIMPLE THINGS ARE THE BEST THINGS



Today,  I made some good old fashioned white bread just like my grandmother's.   I love making bread.  I especially love kneading the "live dough".   No bread machines for me.   They seem so impersonal.   Actual kneading by hand connects you more with the creation of a simple loaf of bread, at least for me.    I make bread quite often, actually.   I just never really think about it.   It never seemed blog worthy, but why not?


I've been making a whole wheat bread out of King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour.   I never knew there was such a thing as white whole wheat flour before I saw it.  


But today, I wanted some white bread -  made with King Arthur Bread Flour.  








Is there anything quite as yummy as fresh homemade bread still warm with butter?
I don't think so.

















And yesterday, I made some Apple Fritters.    They were/are delicious, too.   J.C. loves apple fritters.   The ones I made don't exactly taste like apple fritters one buys at a donut shop, but they are still a treat.

So, you see, dear readers, my life is still multi-faceted.

Even so:




I am attracted to
Melancholy.

I find it a
Comfortable
Fit.

Whenever I taste
It’s poignant
lolly

I think to myself,
That’s It!

This doesn’t
Mean
I’m negative.

It doesn’t mean
I’m blue.

It just means
That, for me,
Melancholy
Rings true.




Written 1/10/09 – 9:30 AM  (thinking of Leonard Cohen)

© 2009  Elizabeth Martin


No comments: